What Are The Factors That Affect Your Auto Insurance Rate?
When you want to insure your car, you must shop around comparing the premium rates offered by the different insurance companies. You can also consider the average auto insurance rate to have an idea about how much a policy may cost. Before purchasing car insurance, you must also find out the market rates and gather knowledge about various other factors that affect auto insurance rate. Some of the factors are:
- The type of vehicle: The insurance/premium rate also depends on the type of vehicle you have. If your car is susceptible to theft or has fancy features on it, the insurance rate will be high.
- Driving record: If you have a safe driving record, your auto insurance rate will be low. On the other hand, if your driving record is full of tickets and accidents, the insurance company will charge you a higher rate.
- Age: If you are below 25 years of age, you will have to pay more for your policy as insurance companies believe that younger drivers are more prone to accidents as compared to older ones.
- Marital status and gender: It is statistically proved that women and married people are more responsible than men and unmarried people. Based on this, the insurance rate also varies.
- Location: If you live in an area where there is high traffic, the insurance companies will offer you a policy at a higher premium rate. This is because a lot of traffic tend to cause more accidents. You will also have to pay premiums at a higher rate if you live in a theft prone area.
- Distance you travel: The number miles you drive each year also affects you auto insurance rate. The more you drive, higher will be your chances of getting involved in accidents and this in turn will affect your premium rates.
When you compare the cost of a policy with the average auto insurance rate, make sure that you are considering the average rate of your state and not the nationwide rate. By gathering knowledge about the average rate and the factors that affect premium rates, you can obtain a cost-effective car policy.